Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Northern Woman's Life during the Civil War

Day 1: President Lincoln delivered the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves living in the Confederacy. My husband and I are strongly opposed to slavery, but we hope this act doesn't create mass chaos.

Day 2: My husband, a doctor, has been drafted under national law. Although he's a doctor, he will be forced to fight in battle as well as treat wounded men. The Peace Democrats are already rioting in the streets.


Day 3: Since my husband is away, I must become a teacher to support myself. It's dangerous to live alone during war, so I am moving in with my relatives.


Day 4: I've just gotten news of the First Battle of Bull Run. To the surprise and dismay of everyone, the Union troops were forced to retreat. This war will not be easily won.


Day 5: The Union army came through Gettysburg last night. I could see their campfires from my house. This afternoon, Lee lost one-third of his army during Pickett's Charge. Union morale is up; the end is near.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You explained how a Northern woman's life during the Civil War would be very well.